12 Kasım 2009 Perşembe

SRS and UML Tool

As we are passing one more week, We are more confident about our project because we know much more as compared to last week. We made a great progress about our project.
First we started to write our Software Requirements Specifications report. I first read the IEEE Std. 830-1998 paper which is a guideline for SRS reports. IEEE Std. 830-1998 is not a SRS template but a paper which can make you understand what SRS is about and can help to write it. After I finished reading, I tried to find some SRS samples about warfare simulations. I did that because I wanted to know what can be included and how it can be written in a warfare simulation SRS. However, I could not find what I want exactly but I found some great samples of SRS reports.

After I examined them I was ready to write our own SRS report.
As we started to write the report, we had to decide what UML tool to use. Our most important concern was that the tool has to be cross-platform. The reason for that is Ilke uses a Mac Book Pro and rest of us use Intel and AMD based computers with Windows and Ubuntu operating systems. After some research I found a UML tool named as "Creately". Creately is a web-based diagramming and design application which is built on Adobe Flex (in our opinion). I can say that because 4 of us are familiar with Adobe Flex. Since it is web-based, our concern about cross-platform is taken care of. It can be used to create informational diagrams, flowcharts, organizational charts, UML designs, mind-maps and many other diagram types. The best part of it is collaboration capabilities. In public license, Max. 5 Collaborators can work. It has a 10MB limit but it is quite enough for us. We can export our designs to jpg-png image formats or pdf document format. That tool is really what we are looking for. We created our first diagram about system interface with Creately. There is a video about that tool:



That's all about from me for this week.
Serkan Olgun.

1 yorum:

  1. Thanks for the wonderful write-up Serkan.

    You'll be glad to know we're working on a new version of Creately specifically built for software teams. We'd love to hear more about how you use Creately and what you'd like to see improved.

    Drop us a note at our support mailbox or email me.

    Charan
    http://creately.com

    YanıtlaSil